Summer is the time when I accomplish all of those projects I put off during the 10 months of the school year, things like vacuumming. Actually, I do a bit more than just catch up on regular chores.
At the beginning of the summer, I cut the flowers off my remaining basil plant, the one near my husband’s vegetable garden I planted to attract bees to pollinate his crops. I then went through the arduous task of harvesting the seeds. The problem previously, I discovered, was that one simply cannot toss the flowers into the ground. The seeds are WITHIN the flowers and must be picked out (about 4 seeds per bud).
In the phote, you can see a bowl below the sifter. That has the seeds from a 6 inch flower stem (lots of really small flowers). I ended up using the sifter because I could smash the flowers against the mesh and the seeds would fall through but not the dried part of the flowers.
I then planted the seeds, and they had sprouted. However. . .
Tropical Storm Debby came and drowned the sprouts. No more basil.
The basil plant next to my husband’s garden had died (he showed me that yesterday), but there is a new basil sprout there, so I am waiting for it to bloom I’ll then plant it and have more basil! Basil is pretty much the only thing I am really good at growing (unless it rains too much).